Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Oscillating flow conditions

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi I am doing a sample problem of a oscillating fluid flow in a channel (emulating fluidic diodes / tesla valves) and wanted to understand boundary conditions. I've tried searching the forum and did not find the exact answer. So, in the figure attached "left side" is assigned an inflow velocity profile with a sinosoidal form so that it reverses after sometime. The "right side" is assigned an outlet condition with 0 static pressure. I am interested in looking at the difference in pressure b/w the "left" & "right" sides during the postive part of the sine cycle vs the negative part when the flow reverses (ratio of this pressure difference is referred to as diodicity for tesla valves).

Question Even though the flow reverses, since my metric is the pressure difference, does the following pressure profile look reasonable? First plot uses 0 static pressure for the outlet and 2nd plot uses 0 total pressure. Not sure why they are different (which really impacts velocity performance) and should there be a different condition so that the plot is symmetric during the +ve and -ve parts of the sinosoidal cycle?

0 Replies Last Post 30.08.2021, 15:44 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Advitya Patyal

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.