Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

More points on each streamline

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am studying Electrostatics on my geometry. When I create a streamline plot of the field with each streamline comprised of roughly 350 points (that I see when exporting the plot). is there a way to make each streamline to be made of more points? My mesh is already extra fine.

3 Replies Last Post 30.08.2021, 14:09 GMT-4
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 3 years ago 29.08.2021, 23:03 GMT-4
Updated: 3 years ago 29.08.2021, 23:03 GMT-4

I have a question. Since you've posted several questions concerning this same topic, I just have to ask: WHY do you want to do this? My perspective here is that I've been working in electromagnetics for decades and I've never been interested in finely dividing up a field line into tiny little pieces. Now, I know I still have a lot to learn. But I also know that field lines are merely convenient graphical representations of the vector fields. These vector fields (i.e., magnitude and direction, as functions of spatial position) are normally of far more interest to the analyst than are the field lines, since the latter are merely a tool for making convenient pictures to help improve one's understanding. Are you able/willing to share with the Comsol community any more about how your physics or engineering problem actually benefits from such an emphatic concentration of attention upon the fineness/discretization of this graphical representation? Thanks!

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
I have a question. Since you've posted *several* questions concerning this same topic, I just have to ask: WHY do you want to do this? My perspective here is that I've been working in electromagnetics for decades and I've never been interested in finely dividing up a field line into tiny little pieces. Now, I know I still have a lot to learn. But I also know that field lines are merely convenient graphical representations of the *vector fields*. These vector fields (i.e., magnitude and direction, as functions of spatial position) are normally of far more interest to the analyst than are the field lines, since the latter are merely a tool for making convenient pictures to help improve one's understanding. Are you able/willing to share with the Comsol community any more about how your physics or engineering problem actually benefits from such an emphatic concentration of attention upon the fineness/discretization of this graphical representation? Thanks!

Posted: 3 years ago 30.08.2021, 11:56 GMT-4
Updated: 3 years ago 30.08.2021, 11:56 GMT-4

Yeah sure ! Basically, I am working on a neutrinoless double beta decay experiment in the NEXT group. We use a gaseus chamber that will in some part of it have gas atoms excitated from electrons travelling in a strong electric field. My job is to analyze the movement of these electrons and the light produced in the process. One software that is intended for such task is CERN's Garield++ but it has pretty long runtimes since it actually tracks each electron very closely and to high accuraccy. My professor suggested we try to aproximate a solution with COMSOL that will be much faster than Garfield++, in which I will take a field line (which an electron may travel on), get the amount of light generated along it using ampirical formula and randomize photons along its track. That is why I asked all these questions and that is why I need a more accurate streamline. You're more than welcome to visit NEXT website and learn more about the experiment.

https://next.ific.uv.es/next/

Yeah sure ! Basically, I am working on a neutrinoless double beta decay experiment in the NEXT group. We use a gaseus chamber that will in some part of it have gas atoms excitated from electrons travelling in a strong electric field. My job is to analyze the movement of these electrons and the light produced in the process. One software that is intended for such task is CERN's Garield++ but it has pretty long runtimes since it actually tracks each electron very closely and to high accuraccy. My professor suggested we try to aproximate a solution with COMSOL that will be much faster than Garfield++, in which I will take a field line (which an electron may travel on), get the amount of light generated along it using ampirical formula and randomize photons along its track. That is why I asked all these questions and that is why I need a more accurate streamline. You're more than welcome to visit NEXT website and learn more about the experiment. https://next.ific.uv.es/next/

Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 3 years ago 30.08.2021, 14:09 GMT-4

Thank you for the additional info. Although I haven't used it, you might want to take a look at Comsol's Particle Tracing Module. See https://www.comsol.com/particle-tracing-module .

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
Thank you for the additional info. Although I haven't used it, you might want to take a look at Comsol's Particle Tracing Module. See https://www.comsol.com/particle-tracing-module .

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.