Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Simulation of skin effect using Magnetic and Electric Fields Physics in frequency domain in a axisymetric coil

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am trying to simulate the skin effect in a coil by displaying the currend density distribution. I am using the array geometry to simulate each wire in my coil to be able to see the skin effect on each wire.

I tried using the Coil domain (which allows homogenized multi-turn conductor), but the current density stay uniform for every frequencies.

I tried using the Single-turn coil domain, attribuing a different single coil domain for every wire, it seems to works, but I want to simulate a coil of 46 turn and it seems pretty inefficient to work this way. Is there any way i can do this without creating individuals domains for each turn?

I have also tried using the external current density domain, but it seems that COMSOL treats all the wires as if they are connected in parallel which looks physically inaccurate for my coil.

Thanks you very much for your time.

Henri Paquette

1 Reply Last Post 14.08.2021, 05:54 GMT-4
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 3 years ago 14.08.2021, 05:54 GMT-4

Henri,

if you want to see the current distribution in each winding you will need to model it in detail. If you are only interested in the lumped properties of the coil you can try an RCL coil.

Cheers Edgar

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Henri, if you want to see the current distribution in each winding you will need to model it in detail. If you are only interested in the lumped properties of the coil you can try an RCL coil. Cheers Edgar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.