Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Unipolar Pulse Train

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi

How to define a unipolar pulse train in COMSOL?

I choosed Gaussian pulse and defined the width and bandwidth of the pulse (when I plot, it shows a unipolar Gaussian shape), but when I use it as a source in my simulation and run the simulation, my output is not a unipolar rather it gives a bipolar signal. I am not sure weather my approach is wrong or right?

In any case, I need a unipolar pulse train emitted from a point source and then want to observe the output.

Pleas help me

I am using COMSOL 4.3a.

Thanks Regards Abdul

1 Reply Last Post 15.07.2021, 11:39 GMT-4
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 3 years ago 15.07.2021, 11:39 GMT-4
Updated: 3 years ago 15.07.2021, 11:42 GMT-4

You didn't say what you are simulating, but I'm guessing that you are simulating something radiating (right?) After all, you say "emitted from a point source" which suggests you are referring to radiation, and specifically to the radiation of electromagnetic waves. Well, that explains your result. The DC component of an electromagnetic (EM) signal cannot be radiated. If you take some time to study time-domain electromagnetics, you will soon discover that the EM waveform radiated by an aperture depends on the time-derivative of the waveform at the aperture. The time derivative of a unipolar pulse is a bipolar pulse! So, I hope that answers your question.

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
You didn't say what you are simulating, but I'm guessing that you are simulating something *radiating* (right?) After all, you say "emitted from a point source" which suggests you are referring to *radiation,* and specifically to the radiation of *electromagnetic waves.* Well, that explains your result. The DC component of an electromagnetic (EM) signal cannot be radiated. If you take some time to study time-domain electromagnetics, you will soon discover that the EM waveform radiated by an aperture depends on the *time-derivative* of the waveform at the aperture. The time derivative of a unipolar pulse is a bipolar pulse! So, I hope that answers your question.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.