Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Air Cooling system - Convergence Issue

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello all,

I'm modeling a cooling system by fan. The air flow comes from the fan going through a tray that contains various battery cells at 60°C. I want to figure out what is the power and the temperature of the air flow in order to achieve 25°C for the cells as quick as possible.

The geometries of the tray and the cells are quite simple (rectangular block). I added one block outside for the air. The air flow comes from the top of this block, the remaining of the block surface is set to be open boundary. (cf. attached figure) Do we need to add an outflow?

For the turbulence model, I started with Algebraic yPlus, which is the most simplest as my understanding.

Nevertheless, the simulation cannot converge, even after following the instructions in this link (https://www.comsol.com/support/knowledgebase/1172). Since I've seen models that are more complex than mine, it is hard to believe that the model is too complex for convergence. I also used symmetric condition in order to reduce the complexity.

I tried to simulate with only the battery cell without the tray and it works. I don't understand why adding a tray cause an issue.

What else do you think can cause the convergence issue ? (meshing?, turbulence model?, ...)

Thank you all,

0 Replies Last Post 21.06.2021, 19:01 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello My Linh Le

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.