Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

1D time dependent study of Electrophoresis (ITP) convergence error.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello all,

I am trying to simulate 1D time dependent study of isotachophoresis (a type of electrophoresis) in Comsol. Its a preconcentration technique that allows focusing and separation of analyte ions based on difference in electrophoretic mobility of leading, analyte and trailing ions.

I have compiled my setup in Nernst-Planck Equation interface (under Chemical Species Transport module) as shown in this link - https://www.comsol.com/blogs/exploring-the-4-basic-modes-of-electrophoresis/

In my setup, concentration of my analyte ion is too small [1e-3 mM] compared to concentration of leading and trailing ions [50 mM]. Theory (and experimentally validated) suggest that analyte ion must focus at interface of leading and trailing ion but in my simulation, I do not see any change in concentration of analyte ion, rather I get convergence error. I have noticed that the simulation runs fine when the initial analyte concentration is 1 mM.

I have tried function smoothening to eliminate numerical oscillation and noise, applied mesh refinement at initial leading and trailing ion interface location and played around with consistent and inconsistent stabilization method but the problem persist.

I wonder if I am using the correct interface as Comsol offers two other interfaces (Transport of Diluted Species and Electrophoretic Transport)? I wish to ask what really is the difference among the three interfaces as their description is pretty much the same.

Any suggestions or input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Best Adi

0 Replies Last Post 25.04.2021, 08:44 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Adi Dhaketa

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.