Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

elasticity matrix elements order

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear All,

I am trying to specify a new piezoelectric material. I have the all the required parameters, but I am uncertain about the order of the matrix elements. All matrices (e.g. elasticity matrix) are specified as a series of 21 numbers. I assume these are the upper triangular matrix elements of the corresponding 6x6 matrix. However, what is the elements order, is it row-wise or column wise?

Thanks, Silviu.

8 Replies Last Post 07.04.2014, 10:57 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 16.05.2012, 12:57 GMT-4
Hi

by hart I cannot tell, but it's een discussed a few times on the FORUM, try a search.

My way in such cases is to enter an increasing series 1,2,3,4 ... and then look how the tensor is populated

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi by hart I cannot tell, but it's een discussed a few times on the FORUM, try a search. My way in such cases is to enter an increasing series 1,2,3,4 ... and then look how the tensor is populated -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 16.05.2012, 14:12 GMT-4
Hi,

Thanks Ivar, that's a good idea. However, how can I see the tensor in matrix form?

Thanks,
Silviu.
Hi, Thanks Ivar, that's a good idea. However, how can I see the tensor in matrix form? Thanks, Silviu.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 16.05.2012, 15:18 GMT-4
Hi

Under the material stress charge tab you have the matrix displayer / entry tool (at least in 4.2a)
And you have the ordering (PZT = IEEE convention, not the same as the standard structural !!)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi Under the material stress charge tab you have the matrix displayer / entry tool (at least in 4.2a) And you have the ordering (PZT = IEEE convention, not the same as the standard structural !!) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 16.05.2012, 17:15 GMT-4
Thank you Ivar!

Silviu.
Thank you Ivar! Silviu.

Posted: 1 decade ago 20.12.2012, 05:58 GMT-5
in isotropic material,the matrix is symmetric. there are 21 elements. the first 6 are xx, yy, zz, yz, xz, xy from the material property. the others are 14,24,34,44,15,25,35,45,55,16,26,36,46,56,66.
in isotropic material,the matrix is symmetric. there are 21 elements. the first 6 are xx, yy, zz, yz, xz, xy from the material property. the others are 14,24,34,44,15,25,35,45,55,16,26,36,46,56,66.

Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago 20.12.2012, 10:59 GMT-5
Hi Yang,

The order you stated is not correct. Ivar provided the correct one above. The xx,yy,zz,yz,xz,xy is just the order of the stress tensor components in the stress vector. That order goes as follows: the three normal stress components XX, YY, then ZZ, followed by the 3 shear stress components YZ, XZ, and finally XY. When it comes to entering the 21 values in the 6x6 anisotropic elasticity matrix, they go by row (or column since it is symmetric) starting at the diagonal element. COMSOL also displays a 2D array for inputting the constants and avoiding confusion about the order.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
Hi Yang, The order you stated is not correct. Ivar provided the correct one above. The xx,yy,zz,yz,xz,xy is just the order of the stress tensor components in the stress vector. That order goes as follows: the three normal stress components XX, YY, then ZZ, followed by the 3 shear stress components YZ, XZ, and finally XY. When it comes to entering the 21 values in the 6x6 anisotropic elasticity matrix, they go by row (or column since it is symmetric) starting at the diagonal element. COMSOL also displays a 2D array for inputting the constants and avoiding confusion about the order. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Posted: 1 decade ago 23.03.2014, 23:04 GMT-4
Hi
I am doing Piezo electric simulation. I want to see the effect of the varying temperature on the output piezoelectric open circuit voltage. I thought it will be better to start observing the resonance frequency with changing temperature. i used joule heating and thermal expansion. i increased the temperatur but the resonance frequency remains same. can anyone tell me why the frequency is not changing? or how can i make the elasticity coefficent temperature dependent?
Hi I am doing Piezo electric simulation. I want to see the effect of the varying temperature on the output piezoelectric open circuit voltage. I thought it will be better to start observing the resonance frequency with changing temperature. i used joule heating and thermal expansion. i increased the temperatur but the resonance frequency remains same. can anyone tell me why the frequency is not changing? or how can i make the elasticity coefficent temperature dependent?

Posted: 1 decade ago 07.04.2014, 10:57 GMT-4
I think the correct order is

Regards,
Ngoc
I think the correct order is 11,12,22,13,23,33,14,24,34,44,15,25,35,45,55,16,26,36,46,56,66 Regards, Ngoc

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.