Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

S parameters and boundary conditions for coplanar waveguide

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello forum,

This is my first post, I hope to find some help for the design of my coplanar waveguide.

First of all, I am tasked to design a waveguide for an FMR experiment, and I am new to COMSOL, so I started by looking at the sma_connectorized example.

I then changed the dimensions of the PCB, and instead of the rectangular box of air I defined an air sphere, and set this as my scattering boundary.

Also I changed the lumped ports to Multielement.

Now my question is if the S parameters I got are actually correct. (S21 is green, S11 is blue, characteristic impedance at lumped port 1 is red) Another thing I would like to know is why there seems to be no electric field propagating on the surface of the conductor. Maybe I am missing something.

I will make changes to the geometry either way, like using metal for the vias, changing the spacing etc. but I just want to know if what I did until now needs to be corrected.

I would be grateful for any kind of advice.

0 Replies Last Post 06.04.2021, 16:42 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Aram Sajdak

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.