Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Any Suggestions Regarding Thermoresistive Simulation in COMSOL?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello COMSOL Community,

I am trying to simulate the change in resistivity of a material due to a change in . I want to simulate and see the behaviour of both Metals and Semi-conductors (Separately).

Right now I have created a simple rectangular 3D bar as geometry. Using material for my metal model. Include Electric Currents, Heat transfer in solid and Electromagnetic Heating Multi-Physics. The study is Stationary. Defined both thermal and electrical conductance as analytical functions. But I am not seeing any changes in resistance in results by changing values.

Additionally,

1)How can I compute values for multiple values at once.

2) In COMSOL how can I add a conductance equation which is also connected to the thermal coefficient at every instance. Right now I am using constant thermal coefficient in my conductance equation.

I am new to COMSOL and not very familiar with heat transfer concepts hopefully my question is understandable. Whatever help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and Regards,

3 Replies Last Post 29.03.2021, 17:22 GMT-4
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 3 years ago 29.03.2021, 11:40 GMT-4

Hello Teen,

1/ If I understand correctly, you are talking about doing what COMSOL calls a parametric sweep. If so, you'll find lots of information in the documentation and on COMSOL's website by searching for those words.

2/ COMSOL's GUI is interpreted, so you can make the conductivity of a material depend on, say, temperature, by typing in the mathematical expression you want for the conductivity, e.g. "1+T". This Learning Center video may be helpful.

Best,

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Hello Teen, 1/ If I understand correctly, you are talking about doing what COMSOL calls a parametric sweep. If so, you'll find lots of information in the documentation and on COMSOL's website by searching for those words. 2/ COMSOL's GUI is interpreted, so you can make the conductivity of a material depend on, say, temperature, by typing in the mathematical expression you want for the conductivity, e.g. "1+T". This [Learning Center video](https://www.comsol.com/learning-center/use-functions-define-material-property) may be helpful. Best, Jeff

Posted: 3 years ago 29.03.2021, 16:58 GMT-4
Updated: 3 years ago 29.03.2021, 17:01 GMT-4

Hello Jeff,

I am thankful for your response, it helps me with some of my queries. I will check out these resources.

Also, can you advise something about my problem about conductivity not changing with the change in temperature? I have already defined the equations for related parameters.

Hello Jeff, I am thankful for your response, it helps me with some of my queries. I will check out these resources. Also, can you advise something about my problem about conductivity not changing with the change in temperature? I have already defined the equations for related parameters. Thanks :)

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 3 years ago 29.03.2021, 17:22 GMT-4

Hi Teen,

It's risky to venture a guess without seeing your mph file. One possibility is that the change in the conductivity is small to the point of not being noticeable. To see if that may be the case, you can force COMSOL to display more digits on the colorbar.

Best,

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Hi Teen, It's risky to venture a guess without seeing your mph file. One possibility is that the change in the conductivity is small to the point of not being noticeable. To see if that may be the case, you can force COMSOL to display more digits on the colorbar. Best, Jeff

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.