Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Negative pressure evaluation using Darcy's law

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi

I am trying to model and simulate the process of cooking a steak on a frying pan.

I am currently using both "heat transfer in porous media" and "darcy's law" to model convection and conduction. I have implemented a piecewise function to simulate the flipping of the steak, to flip the boundary temperatures every 30 sec/1 min. I will validate the model by using a special temperature-controlled stove.

My problem is, that Darcy's law evaluates negative pressure on the cold side of the steak after the flip. I have specified an initial pressure of 1 atm (I have adjusted this) and 1 atm as the boundary pressures. Do you have any idea if this is a numerical problem of finding a proper convergence point, or is it something else, like setting up the physics package differently?

I couldn't upload an animation of my issue here, but I uploaded it externally here: https://gifyu.com/image/ffw4

Thanks in advance!

1 Reply Last Post 26.03.2021, 08:58 GMT-4

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 3 years ago 26.03.2021, 08:58 GMT-4

I resolved this issue myself by adjusting some of the material properties (more specifically increased the permeability by a factor of 10, as it is in the range of 10e-19 to 10e-17), and the convergence point was in a reasonable pressure range.

I resolved this issue myself by adjusting some of the material properties (more specifically increased the permeability by a factor of 10, as it is in the range of 10e-19 to 10e-17), and the convergence point was in a reasonable pressure range.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.