Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Meshing high aspect ratio geometry

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I'm trying to mesh a geometry with a very high aspect ratio (see screenshot) with a vertical dimension ~1 km and horizontal dimension ~1000 km. There are two parts in the geometry, with the bottom one being a layer around 30 m thick. Both are made using point clouds from topography data. Normally I would use a swept mesh for a geometry with this kind of aspect ratio, at least for the lower layer, but I haven't been able to do that because of the shape of the boundary. I'd appreciate any recommendations on how to mesh this type of geometry.

3 Replies Last Post 08.03.2021, 17:05 GMT-5
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 3 years ago 05.03.2021, 17:20 GMT-5

Hi Claire,

It's a bit difficult to judge the shape of your geometry based on this image, but one idea would be to partition your geometry using something like an elliptical cylinder, chosen such that you can mesh the parts of your geometry inside that elliptical cylinder with a swept mesh while using an unstructured mesh on the periphery.

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Hi Claire, It's a bit difficult to judge the shape of your geometry based on this image, but one idea would be to partition your geometry using something like an elliptical cylinder, chosen such that you can mesh the parts of your geometry inside that elliptical cylinder with a swept mesh while using an unstructured mesh on the periphery. Jeff

Posted: 3 years ago 08.03.2021, 16:56 GMT-5

Thanks for the idea. I think that would work for my purposes, except that I am getting an internal error in geometry decomposition/error in parameter domain topological analysis when I try to partition. Any ideas how to fix that?

Thanks for the idea. I think that would work for my purposes, except that I am getting an internal error in geometry decomposition/error in parameter domain topological analysis when I try to partition. Any ideas how to fix that?

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 3 years ago 08.03.2021, 17:05 GMT-5

Hi Claire,

I'd recommend you contact our support team ( www.comsol.com/support/ ) as this is straying too far out of my area of competency.

Best,

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Hi Claire, I'd recommend you contact our support team ( www.comsol.com/support/ ) as this is straying too far out of my area of competency. Best, Jeff

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.