Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Can COMSOL calculate product mole fractions using minimalization of Gibbs Free Energy?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Let's say I have x mol of atomic C, y mol of atomic H, z mol of atomic O, a given T and P, can COMSOL give me the resulting mole fractions of CO, CO2, CH4, H2O, O2, H2 ?

I know programs like Cantera can do it, and chemkin too (although you can't setup a two-way link with COMSOL and chemkin as far as I know).
I don't want to use kinetics, kinetic constant or equilibrium constants, just minimization of free energy. Can COMSOL do this, yes or no?

The point is: my supervisor thinks it is included in COMSOL, and I think it is not. Can anyone give the definitive answer?

Thanks a lot!

Ray.

2 Replies Last Post 25.09.2015, 23:19 GMT-4

Posted: 1 decade ago 25.04.2012, 20:50 GMT-4
That is an equilibrium calculation, and COMSOL does not have a database for equilibrium constants. Actually, if you see the Materials Library, there are very few components that can exist in the gas and liquid phases. Most of steady-state process simulators such as PRO/II and ASPEN Plus can predict the equilibrium compositions based on Gibbs free energy minimization.
That is an equilibrium calculation, and COMSOL does not have a database for equilibrium constants. Actually, if you see the Materials Library, there are very few components that can exist in the gas and liquid phases. Most of steady-state process simulators such as PRO/II and ASPEN Plus can predict the equilibrium compositions based on Gibbs free energy minimization.

Posted: 9 years ago 25.09.2015, 23:19 GMT-4
I have seen that comsol supports the themodynamics property import of Aspen Plus based on cope open protocol, isn't it?
I have seen that comsol supports the themodynamics property import of Aspen Plus based on cope open protocol, isn't it?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.