Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to use the output (solution) of one boundary in a model as the input (initiation condition) of the other boundary in another model

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, everybody!

I have a question about the boundary settings in the CFD module. I built an open channel and calculated the fully developed turbulent flow. Now I want to build another channel, which has the same cross section with the first one. The two channels are in fact connected, but I build the second one because it has an obstacle in it. And I want to use the solution at the outlet boundary in the first model as the input at the inlet boundary in the second model. Do anyone know how can I accomplish this? Any comments are welcomed and appreciated. Thank you!

4 Replies Last Post 05.07.2013, 08:19 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 24.04.2012, 14:57 GMT-4
Hi

I would suggest two posible ways. One is to export the relevant results, over the boundary to an interpolation data file and then import it into a function and use that as an explicit initial condition in your second run. But this is only practical for "small" simulatins as your file(s) might become very large and take a long time to process i this way.

THe second way is to model everything in the under the same model tree, add both geoemtries one after the other, set up two physics, one for each segment of the geometry, and add two studies, one for each and use the dependent variables intial condition to link the two. I believe this should work, but I must admit I havent tried it out like that before ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I would suggest two posible ways. One is to export the relevant results, over the boundary to an interpolation data file and then import it into a function and use that as an explicit initial condition in your second run. But this is only practical for "small" simulatins as your file(s) might become very large and take a long time to process i this way. THe second way is to model everything in the under the same model tree, add both geoemtries one after the other, set up two physics, one for each segment of the geometry, and add two studies, one for each and use the dependent variables intial condition to link the two. I believe this should work, but I must admit I havent tried it out like that before ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 25.04.2012, 12:53 GMT-4
Thank you very much Ivar. Actually I figured out the first approach, and I tried and the result is satisfying. For the second approach, I think it will make the simulations easier but I don't know how to apply it, either. I am also thinking about the "model couplings" function. If I build two models, can I couple the outlet of the first model to the inlet of the second one? I tried a simple example. And it doesn't work. Do you have any experience on the "model coupling" functions? Thank you
Thank you very much Ivar. Actually I figured out the first approach, and I tried and the result is satisfying. For the second approach, I think it will make the simulations easier but I don't know how to apply it, either. I am also thinking about the "model couplings" function. If I build two models, can I couple the outlet of the first model to the inlet of the second one? I tried a simple example. And it doesn't work. Do you have any experience on the "model coupling" functions? Thank you

Posted: 1 decade ago 12.07.2012, 16:33 GMT-4
May I ask how you achieved the first approach? I am also trying to export the data on a surface in a 3D geometry.

Thanks in advance!
May I ask how you achieved the first approach? I am also trying to export the data on a surface in a 3D geometry. Thanks in advance!

Posted: 1 decade ago 05.07.2013, 08:19 GMT-4
Dear M. Ruhl,

Thank's a lot for your answer, it is indeed very efficient to solve this way (successive studies) and and think I will use it in order not to have too many functions to define. I will also try to find out what was wrong with my first method but your solution seems to be well appropriated.

Thank you very much again

Maxime
Dear M. Ruhl, Thank's a lot for your answer, it is indeed very efficient to solve this way (successive studies) and and think I will use it in order not to have too many functions to define. I will also try to find out what was wrong with my first method but your solution seems to be well appropriated. Thank you very much again Maxime

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.