Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Question to Postprocessing in transient Heat Transfer

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everybody,

I am using Comsol in transiet heat transfer analaysis and I have a question. A thin layer is irradiated by a laser source by implementing the intensity-profile as heat source at the surface.

How can I plot a temprature distrubtion (temperatur lines) over the depth of the irradiated layer (x-axis) and the time (y-axis)?

Thank you very much and kind regards,

C.Mannal

3 Replies Last Post 26.01.2010, 08:40 GMT-5
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 26.01.2010, 03:19 GMT-5
Hi

if you have a transient analysis for several time steps, then this should be possible.
Check the "Postprocessing - Cross-Section Plot Parameters - Line Extrusion, while all time steps are selected in the general tab.

You also have the draw line/draw plane icon to the left border of your postprocessing view

Good luck
Ivar
Hi if you have a transient analysis for several time steps, then this should be possible. Check the "Postprocessing - Cross-Section Plot Parameters - Line Extrusion, while all time steps are selected in the general tab. You also have the draw line/draw plane icon to the left border of your postprocessing view Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 26.01.2010, 07:23 GMT-5

Hi,

Thanks for the quick answer. Unfortunately if I do a Cross-Section Line Plot. The time is not an axis, it is the temperature and I get several lines for each time of the solver.
Is not possible to have the time as axis? Of course maybe just pointwise for the solution timesteps or possibly even interpolated between the steps.
For example a some kind of randomly defineable plot where you can define the x- and y-axis with any parameter of the model (x-axis: depth, y-axis: time) and different lines for several tempreature steps.

Thanks again,

C. Mannal
Hi, Thanks for the quick answer. Unfortunately if I do a Cross-Section Line Plot. The time is not an axis, it is the temperature and I get several lines for each time of the solver. Is not possible to have the time as axis? Of course maybe just pointwise for the solution timesteps or possibly even interpolated between the steps. For example a some kind of randomly defineable plot where you can define the x- and y-axis with any parameter of the model (x-axis: depth, y-axis: time) and different lines for several tempreature steps. Thanks again, C. Mannal

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 26.01.2010, 08:40 GMT-5
Hi

Correct, I didnt fully catch your need. For a line, it is the dependent variable (plot_Y) versus the line coordinate s (or plane x-y) (plot_X) for different times (sepearate curves) that is the default (X can be defined differently in the X-axis expression sub-tab).

You can select a point, then get the temperature over time at a location, but this is not over the space line variable as you want.

So I believe you will have to use Matalb to get the data and plot it your way, or any other way + with any specific mathematics, provided tat the data length fits your RAM.

One other way (in case you do not have matlab), is to select a few points (coordinates) along the line to plot and and to dumnp the graph data as an ascii file, then to reuse this in excel or another tool.
But note:
the only "bug" I know in Comsol V3.5a, the data coumns are mixed up if you dump this large file with multiple points, multiple time plot. But generally you can sort the data again by hand, as parts of columns to be reordered in excel afterwards, it's just somewhat tedious, COMSOL has promised a correction of this in V4 ;)

Trick: I usually make a line or cut my volumes so that I can use an edge to define an analysis section, but this is in no way mandataory, a set of coordinates willdo too
PS:
2) there might be a way out in COMSOL by defining a global variable, and do a "global variable plot instead"
3) check your x-axis Data "Expression" feature then you can define the X axis for global variables

Good luck
Ivar
Hi Correct, I didnt fully catch your need. For a line, it is the dependent variable (plot_Y) versus the line coordinate s (or plane x-y) (plot_X) for different times (sepearate curves) that is the default (X can be defined differently in the X-axis expression sub-tab). You can select a point, then get the temperature over time at a location, but this is not over the space line variable as you want. So I believe you will have to use Matalb to get the data and plot it your way, or any other way + with any specific mathematics, provided tat the data length fits your RAM. One other way (in case you do not have matlab), is to select a few points (coordinates) along the line to plot and and to dumnp the graph data as an ascii file, then to reuse this in excel or another tool. But note: the only "bug" I know in Comsol V3.5a, the data coumns are mixed up if you dump this large file with multiple points, multiple time plot. But generally you can sort the data again by hand, as parts of columns to be reordered in excel afterwards, it's just somewhat tedious, COMSOL has promised a correction of this in V4 ;) Trick: I usually make a line or cut my volumes so that I can use an edge to define an analysis section, but this is in no way mandataory, a set of coordinates willdo too PS: 2) there might be a way out in COMSOL by defining a global variable, and do a "global variable plot instead" 3) check your x-axis Data "Expression" feature then you can define the X axis for global variables Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.