Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Diffusion in Elastic Solid

Jens-Christian Meiners

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am using the Solid Mechaics and Transport of Diluted Species modules to simulate diffusion in an elastic solid. When I initially fill the solid with a diffusing species at some concentration c and use no-flux boundaries to keep everything in, and then compress the solid, the concentration seems to remain constant, instead of increasing as the volume is now reduced. I can't figure out why. I found an ugly workaround (introducing a "reaction" that reduces the concentration proportinally to the change in volumetric strain), but that just seems ugly and I'm not sure what other unintended consequences it may have. Any help would is appreciated.

0 Replies Last Post 10.12.2020, 08:57 GMT-5
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Jens-Christian Meiners

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.