Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Lumped port incident power

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi Richard,

when using the coaxial catagory in lumped port implementation, we input voltage to the port. can you please help me in calculating how much power is incident upon the port in terms of watts? for eaxmple when I use 250V, how much power would it relate to?

Best regards, Azeem

1 Reply Last Post 10.11.2020, 20:58 GMT-5
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 4 years ago 10.11.2020, 20:58 GMT-5
Updated: 4 years ago 10.11.2020, 21:00 GMT-5

First, I'll assume you are doing an RF model in frequency-domain mode. You may also notice that you had to specify a characteristic reference impedance. The default is 50 ohms. Bear in mind that the voltage you are specifying is the peak voltage, not rms. So the power becomes . Note that if you have an impedance mismatch (which is very likely, if you don't put in effort to choose the reference Z to match), then your actual forward power will be less.

250 V into 50 ohms would thus be 625 Watts.

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
First, I'll *assume* you are doing an RF model in frequency-domain mode. You may also notice that you had to specify a characteristic reference impedance. The default is 50 ohms. Bear in mind that the voltage you are specifying is the *peak* voltage, not rms. So the power becomes V^2/(2*Z_r_e_f). Note that if you have an impedance mismatch (which is very likely, if you don't put in effort to choose the reference Z to match), then your actual forward power will be less. 250 V into 50 ohms would thus be 625 Watts.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.