Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Leaky mode solution from coefficient form PDE

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I try to find the leaky mode from an antiguiding acoustic waveguide. The waveguide has a high velocity core (silica) suspended in a low velocity enviroment (air). I use the coeffcient form PDE solver and specifying coefficients accordingly to have a standard wave equation. PML layer is applied outside of the cladding environment.

In the wave equation, the propagation constant is given and real as it is dictated by the optical effect that generated the acoustic wave (Stimulated Brillouin scattering). The eigenvalues the solve find will be the complex frequency. I specifed the range for the eigenvalues to be found in from 1/V_core to 1/V_clad imaginary values.

Comsol did not find any meaningful solution for the configuration above. Instead it seems to find guided acoustic modes in the cladding (low velocity) with a little evanecesent field extending into the core region. What I hope to find is a well confined "leaky" modes in the core due to the large difference in sound impedence between the core and cladding, as per this paper (fig. 9)

https://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1308/1308.0382.pdf

Greatful to have any suggestion.

0 Replies Last Post 05.11.2020, 23:03 GMT-5
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Linh Nguyen

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.