Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Sound Absorption Coefficient of Materials

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Does anyone know how to simulate the "Sound Absorption Coefficient" of materials? I tried to build a waveguide (impedance tube) on top of the materials, but it doesn't work for high frequency.

4 Replies Last Post 10.01.2013, 12:46 GMT-5
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Siu-Kit Lau

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 1 decade ago 13.12.2012, 03:48 GMT-5
Hi

I also want to know how to build a model for impedance tube, for the simulation of sound reflection and absorption coefficient.
Hi I also want to know how to build a model for impedance tube, for the simulation of sound reflection and absorption coefficient.

Posted: 1 decade ago 08.01.2013, 11:03 GMT-5

Does anyone know how to simulate the "Sound Absorption Coefficient" of materials? I tried to build a waveguide (impedance tube) on top of the materials, but it doesn't work for high frequency.

Have you solved the problem yet? The higher the frequency is, the narrower the tube must be. You have to have plane waves in an impedance tube and the higher the frequency is the more viscous edge effects and non-planar waves will come into play, ruining the results at higher frequencies.
[QUOTE] Does anyone know how to simulate the "Sound Absorption Coefficient" of materials? I tried to build a waveguide (impedance tube) on top of the materials, but it doesn't work for high frequency. [/QUOTE] Have you solved the problem yet? The higher the frequency is, the narrower the tube must be. You have to have plane waves in an impedance tube and the higher the frequency is the more viscous edge effects and non-planar waves will come into play, ruining the results at higher frequencies.

Posted: 1 decade ago 10.01.2013, 11:21 GMT-5
Hello,
please following your request about modeling the sound absorption coefficient of materials, have you resolved it? If yes, I am interested to see the model. I tried to build a Comsol model for that but it does not work.
Many thanks in advance. My email address is : t_rostand2@yahoo.fr

Yours,
Hello, please following your request about modeling the sound absorption coefficient of materials, have you resolved it? If yes, I am interested to see the model. I tried to build a Comsol model for that but it does not work. Many thanks in advance. My email address is : t_rostand2@yahoo.fr Yours,

Posted: 1 decade ago 10.01.2013, 12:46 GMT-5
Why building a waveguide on top? You can define a dissipative medium under the Pressure Acoustic Model interface using a Delany-Bazley or Biot model for poroelasticity
Why building a waveguide on top? You can define a dissipative medium under the Pressure Acoustic Model interface using a Delany-Bazley or Biot model for poroelasticity

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.