Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to model gas compression in porous media?

Mohammed Abdul Qadeer Siddiqui

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I have a situation where a porous medium is initially saturated with gas (e.g. methane not air) at 300 psi. The geometry is a square. From the top boundary water has to enter the medium and compress the gas. The water/gas saturations, pressures, will change with time. There is thus the role of capillary pressure which is taken care by van Genutchen correlation. The relative permeability relationships are derived from Brooks & Corey. Both capillary pressure and rel perm are functions of saturation. I am using two darcy law modules for this. I am following the COMSOL's 'Two phase column' project.

The problem is when initial gas pressure inside porous medium is 300 psi, and the top boundary water pressure is 500 psi, COMSOL runs into an error and Pc = Pg - Pw becomes negative. If Pw < Pg then there is no water diffusion into the matrix. Can somebody please help me out.

Thanks

0 Replies Last Post 12.05.2020, 10:48 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Mohammed Abdul Qadeer Siddiqui

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.