Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to assert heat flux in the physics "Radiation in Absorbing-Scattering Media" and "Radiation in Participating Media"?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everyone,

I am currently trying to simulate a layer of semi-transparent aerogel under sunlight. I try to do it in the physics "radiation in absorbing-scattering media", so that the absorption coefficient of the aerogel on different wavelengths can be taken into account. Now I want to put a solar heat flux (some visible light, some infrared) on its surface, and the only boundary condition that I find relevant is "incident intensity". However the unit of this is W/(m2.sr). I tried turning it into W/m2, by multiplying PI, but the result does not match with my theoretical culculation (I made a simple case of a block). In contrast, if I use "heat flux" in the "heat transfer in solids" physics, the result matches quite well with my theoretical calculation. (In the above attemps, I assumed that the material is transparent in order to varify the COMSOL environment. I set the absorption coefficient etc. to almost zero, so the result should match with my transparent theoretical calculation.)

Could anyone explain what is unique with this "incident intensity"? Can't I use it as a tool for asserting heat flux? If not, what could be a good substitution?

Thank you very much and I am looking forward to a reply.

Best, Megan

0 Replies Last Post 07.05.2020, 15:30 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Megan Chen

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.