Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Power from point dipole to port boundary

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello. I am attempting a simulation to determine the power arriving from a point dipole to ports in a waveguide. This is a 2D simulation using a frequency domain study in the wave optics module.

To do this, I am using an Electric Point Dipole node (with coupling structure) close to a simple rectangular waveguide. The boundaries at the ends of the waveguide are numeric ports, set to "off". After simulating, I can see the electric field (via 2D surface plot) in the waveguide (all the way to the ports), but am strugging to find a way to show the power arriving from the dipole. Or quantify this field in any way, actually.

I notice that when I run a similar simulation with one port set to "on", there are additional plotting options such as transmittance and S-parameters. These are absent when both ports are "off", and I can only plot the mode index and propagation constant, found from the boundary mode analysis.

Can someone point me in the right direction? Am I missing something? I'm happy to provide more details (and an MPH file), if that helps.

Also, I've noticed I cannot animate this field (from the dipole) in the 2D plot. When I do a dynamic data extension, I am left with zero field everywhere. This is at odds with the solution. Again, I am likely missing something.

Cheers!

0 Replies Last Post 06.05.2020, 05:48 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello David Northeast

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.