Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Moving Boundary Smoothing

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi

I am working on a comsol model. The model includes solid mechanics with deformed meshes module, Mesh Smoothing type => Laplace. I have one moving boundary. The movement of the boundary is governed by the "Prescribed Normal Mesh Velocity".

After sucessfully moving the boundary for few steps, Local segments of with high curvature appears in the boundary. Every automatic remeshing sequence, amplifies the local curvature of boundary segments.

I tried to activate "Moving Boundary Smoothing", under "Prescribed Normal Mesh Velocity", with defalt value of . But it don't works. It gives an error: "Undefined variable - comp1.vmbsyTY", where vmbsy is mentioned as Smoothing mesh velocity, y component, in discription. I don't have any idea how to define this variable.

Can anyone help?

Thanks and regards A P

2 Replies Last Post 03.03.2020, 14:40 GMT-5
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 4 years ago 03.03.2020, 11:31 GMT-5

What is that is driving the Prescribed Normal Mesh Velocity? Is it just some function of time, or is an expression computed during the solution? In the latter case, is it something from the Solid Mechanics interface?

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
What is that is driving the **Prescribed Normal Mesh Velocity**? Is it just some function of time, or is an expression computed during the solution? In the latter case, is it something from the Solid Mechanics interface?

Posted: 4 years ago 03.03.2020, 14:40 GMT-5

Thanks for reply. Appreciate your timely response.

I have an elastic solid body; a small portion of its surface is acted upon by an external load (time dependent). This causes elastic deformation in body. When deformation in body exceeds certain amount and a spacific mathematical expression is setisfied, a particular edge in the domain is displaced by using Prescribed Normal Mesh Velocity. This process keep continue, till we achieve final deformation state.

In short Prescribed Normal Mesh Velocity is drivin by an expression computed during the solution, based upon Solid Mechanics interface.

Each point of the moving edge has different velocity, depending upon its relative position from centre. For first few steps, the movement of the edge is quite smooth, but after that we observe small irregularities in smoothness of the edge. This irregularity keeps on increasing with each step and finally we get distorted edge.

Regards A P

Thanks for reply. Appreciate your timely response. I have an elastic solid body; a small portion of its surface is acted upon by an external load (time dependent). This causes elastic deformation in body. When deformation in body exceeds certain amount and a spacific mathematical expression is setisfied, a particular edge in the domain is displaced by using **Prescribed Normal Mesh Velocity**. This process keep continue, till we achieve final deformation state. In short **Prescribed Normal Mesh Velocity** is drivin by an expression computed during the solution, based upon Solid Mechanics interface. Each point of the moving edge has different velocity, depending upon its relative position from centre. For first few steps, the movement of the edge is quite smooth, but after that we observe small irregularities in smoothness of the edge. This irregularity keeps on increasing with each step and finally we get distorted edge. Regards A P

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.