Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Simple heating in a 2D coil

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I'd like to simulate the heating in a small thin wire copper coil in 2D. When current is going through the wire it heats up. This changes the resistance which increase the heat loss further. In the end I'd like to simulate a 3D assembly(coil+magnets etc.).

Each wire is modeled as a heat source. The power it produces depends on the current and the resistance of that wire at a certain Temperature. How do couple this effect?

I can't find the temperature of the wire as an input to the heat source calculation. I have defined global parameters for wire dimension and current. Im trying to define global variables for resistance and heat source power. But I can't find the temperature.

There is an old demo for fuse heating but this method does not work since I can't find materials with temperature dependent variables as input. This would be a great option though.

Nicklas

0 Replies Last Post 28.02.2020, 08:45 GMT-5
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Nick

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.