Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

FSI Of Heart Valve Design

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

i need to do a coupled fluid solid interaction to study heart valve design. I need help regarding the mesh setup as the mesh of fluid domain is distorting very high from the fully opening of valve to closing of valve. There is certain studies conducted on COMSOL but i am not able to locate that module.

2 Replies Last Post 28.01.2020, 17:09 GMT-5

Posted: 4 years ago 28.01.2020, 16:10 GMT-5

Hello Ankush,

Automatic Remeshing is what I think might help you. You can enable this under Study -> "Your Study" -> Settings -> Study Extensions. High deformation of the mesh may result in poor convergence by creating high skewed and distorted elements. So, if you expect a significant mesh deformation in your model, it may help you. It basically remeshes your geometry when the remeshing criterion is satisfied. You can control the remeshing criterion.

Good luck, Hamid

Hello Ankush, Automatic Remeshing is what I think might help you. You can enable this under Study -> "Your Study" -> Settings -> Study Extensions. High deformation of the mesh may result in poor convergence by creating high skewed and distorted elements. So, if you expect a significant mesh deformation in your model, it may help you. It basically remeshes your geometry when the remeshing criterion is satisfied. You can control the remeshing criterion. Good luck, Hamid

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 4 years ago 28.01.2020, 17:09 GMT-5

Hello Ankush,

If the topology of the computational domain changes when the valve closes, even remeshing will eventually fail. This blog presents an alternative approach consisting in increasing the fluid's viscositywhen te gap through which the fluid flows becomes small. That blog post uses a ball valve o illustrate the concept but it's very general.

Best,

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Hello Ankush, If the topology of the computational domain changes when the valve closes, even remeshing will eventually fail. [This blog](https://www.comsol.com/blogs/tips-using-wall-distance-interface/) presents an alternative approach consisting in increasing the fluid's viscositywhen te gap through which the fluid flows becomes small. That blog post uses a ball valve o illustrate the concept but it's very general. Best, Jeff

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.