Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Stress-Strain on Crystals

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hey,

I'm trying to find the young's modulus on a specific type of crystals. The material is not found in the list of materials that comsol has.

I was wondering if I can chemically make these crystals using another part of comsol (reaction or chemical engr. module), and then use them as the material for the structural-mechanic module.

Is that possible?

Thanks,
Ben

1 Reply Last Post 10.01.2010, 08:02 GMT-5
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 10.01.2010, 08:02 GMT-5
Hi

I beleive that would be rather complex, to model eveything from scratch in COMSOL, would be nice though.

I would search through the web and specially the litterature, either to find someone who has measured what you want, or has done some measurements where you can simulate the model correctly and then optimise the E/D values, but this requires many measurements in different directions as crystals are mostly anistropic. You must analyse/determine also the crystalline structure as this has an important effect on the stiffness matrix symmetry and the number of DoF's to resolve.
Finaly, you can get some guesses by similarity with other crystals, but you need to be a good and experienced material scientist then.

With anisotropic material do not forget to set up correctly your local coordinate frame in COMSOL

Good luck
Ivar
Hi I beleive that would be rather complex, to model eveything from scratch in COMSOL, would be nice though. I would search through the web and specially the litterature, either to find someone who has measured what you want, or has done some measurements where you can simulate the model correctly and then optimise the E/D values, but this requires many measurements in different directions as crystals are mostly anistropic. You must analyse/determine also the crystalline structure as this has an important effect on the stiffness matrix symmetry and the number of DoF's to resolve. Finaly, you can get some guesses by similarity with other crystals, but you need to be a good and experienced material scientist then. With anisotropic material do not forget to set up correctly your local coordinate frame in COMSOL Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.