Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Use Multibody Dynamics Module to simulate two elastically connected beam

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I want to simulate two elastically connected beams. The first beam is hinged to the ground with a rotation spring. The second beam is pinned with the first beam with a roation spring as well. The schematic diagram is shown below.

pic1

I use the pinned joint and spring foundation to simuate the first joint. For the second joint, I add two attachment in the two beams' end. The first attachment is at the right end of the first beam. The second attachment is at the left end of the second beam. The setting of my model is in the Attachments of this post.

When I solve this model, the error message shows that

Undefined variable. - Variable: comp1.beam.att1.phi - Global scope Failed to evaluate Jacobian of expression. - Expression: comp1.mbd.hgj1.uc_src-comp1.mbd.hgj1.uc_dest -

Could you please tell me the possible reason for the error?

With best regards.

1 Reply Last Post 08.08.2019, 23:59 GMT-4
Pawan Soami COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 5 years ago 08.08.2019, 23:59 GMT-4
Updated: 5 years ago 09.08.2019, 01:11 GMT-4

Dear Lau,

I had a look at your problem and it seems that the variable it is complaining about is missing in the Beam interface in 2D. So we will fix this issue in our upcoming release and I suggest you the following work around for now.

Add a Variables node under Component 1>Definitions. Define the following variables: beam.att1.phi = beam.att1.int(thz)
beam2.att1.phi = beam2.att1.int(thz)

Model should work after adding these variable definitions manually.

Also I noticed that you are using Joint Elasticity whereas you mentioned that you need rotation spring at the hinge joint. So I would suggest to use Spring and Damper subnode on the Hinge Joint to add rotation spring instead of Joint Elastcity. The Joint Elasttcity node adds spring on all the DOFs except rotation in case of Hinge Joint in order to simulate a bushing effect.

Best Regards,
Pawan Soami

Dear Lau, I had a look at your problem and it seems that the variable it is complaining about is missing in the Beam interface in 2D. So we will fix this issue in our upcoming release and I suggest you the following work around for now. Add a Variables node under Component 1>Definitions. Define the following variables: beam.att1.phi = beam.att1.int(thz) beam2.att1.phi = beam2.att1.int(thz) Model should work after adding these variable definitions manually. Also I noticed that you are using Joint Elasticity whereas you mentioned that you need rotation spring at the hinge joint. So I would suggest to use Spring and Damper subnode on the Hinge Joint to add rotation spring instead of Joint Elastcity. The Joint Elasttcity node adds spring on all the DOFs except rotation in case of Hinge Joint in order to simulate a bushing effect. Best Regards, Pawan Soami

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.