Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Fresnel Equation:what does an observation port exactly mean?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

In the tutorial, it says that port2 is an observation port, but what does an observation port exactly mean? 
Notice that in the port mode settings of port2, the norm of E is still the same with port1, both are abs(exp(-i*k*x))==1, but I think it shoud be multiplied with the transmission coefficient t_p, because what port2 receives is a transmission wave whose norm should be smaller than the incident wave from port1.
Can someone help me?
Best regards.

1 Reply Last Post 06.08.2019, 21:59 GMT-4

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 5 years ago 06.08.2019, 21:59 GMT-4
Updated: 5 years ago 06.08.2019, 21:59 GMT-4
I just figure it out!!
In the Port's "port mode settings", the key is the "mode", in other words, the wave number k. While the constant coeffient mutiplied before the exponential will be automatically matched. 
You guys could check with your own simulation experiment, and it's really a simple experiment! Just try!
I just figure it out!! In the Port's "port mode settings", the key is the "mode", in other words, the wave number k. While the constant coeffient mutiplied before the exponential will be automatically matched. You guys could check with your own simulation experiment, and it's really a simple experiment! Just try!

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.