Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Floating electrostatic potential at Metal Contact

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello, I'm using Semiconductor Module to solve drift-diffusion equations for a solar cell in 1D domain with two Metal Contacts (both Ohmic) at left (A) and right (B) point of the domain. Traditionally, photocurrent-voltage curves is calculated by setting voltage at A to 0 V and sweeping the voltage at B from 0 to given voltage.

Now, to compare Comsol results with some published results, I want to make electrostatic potential at B to float free - in other words prescribe Neumann boundary condition for electrostatic potential. AFAIK, Metal contact in Semiconductor Module (both Ohmic and Schottky), prescribes Dirichlet boundary condition for electrostatic potential.

I have two ideas to achieve my goal: i) rewrite Dirichlet condition for potential in the Equation view for Metal Contact ii) incorporate additional metal electrode close to B and use Electrostatics Interface (AC/DC) to set 'Floating Potential' at B

I'd appreciate any feedback on the above ideas or any tips to solution. Best regards Peter

1 Reply Last Post 01.07.2019, 08:08 GMT-4

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 5 years ago 01.07.2019, 08:08 GMT-4
Updated: 5 years ago 01.07.2019, 08:08 GMT-4

I have solved the issue by removing 'Ohmic' contact B, which means then automatically 'Insulator Interface'(zero current, zero electrical displacement field) is governing contact B and enables floating electrostatic potential at B.

Peter

I have solved the issue by removing 'Ohmic' contact B, which means then automatically 'Insulator Interface'(zero current, zero electrical displacement field) is governing contact B and enables floating electrostatic potential at B. Peter

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.