Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Creating a 2D surface with a line and varying thickness

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello COMSOL users,

I want to create a 2D surface from a single line with varying thickness. (Please see the image attached.) I wonder if this is possible in COMSOL. (probably setting the thickness var as a parameter) After making it as a surface, I will rotate it and make it as a 3D model. If I use an optimization module, can the thickness be used as a variable in the objective function? I want to change thickness as well as the length of the initial line to find some desired eigenfrequencies. I just began studying COMSOL and don't know if this is possible in COMSOL. Please let me know.

DL

1 Reply Last Post 30.04.2019, 08:56 GMT-4
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 5 years ago 30.04.2019, 08:56 GMT-4
Updated: 5 years ago 30.04.2019, 11:27 GMT-4

Hello D,

You could use two parametric curves to define the inner and outer shapes, and make those curves depend on a finite number of parameters, and then optimize on those parameters. The tutorial entitled Optimizing the shape of a horn illustrates such an optimization. This blog on shape optimization should also be helpful.

Best regards,

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Hello D, You could use two parametric curves to define the inner and outer shapes, and make those curves depend on a finite number of parameters, and then optimize on those parameters. The tutorial entitled [Optimizing the shape of a horn](https://www.comsol.com/model/optimizing-the-shape-of-a-horn-4353) illustrates such an optimization. This blog on [shape optimization](https://www.comsol.com/blogs/designing-new-structures-with-shape-optimization/) should also be helpful. Best regards, Jeff

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.