Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Coil Geometry Analysis Error

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

while Solving Coil geometry analysis for an e-core transformer i am getting an error (Numeric coil Coil 1 (coil1) not solved for. Solve it in a Coil Geometry Analysis step).i have defined the inputs for the primary and secondary coil but still getting the same error.

Kindly Help me to resolve the error.

Thanks
  Debasis

2 Replies Last Post 29.03.2019, 14:56 GMT-4

Posted: 5 years ago 29.03.2019, 08:51 GMT-4

Hi Debasis,

I have the same problem. I have even tried to set up a simpler version of an air transformer with a very basic circuit. Doesnt work either. Furthermore I do not find any example files and on most of the threads here on the forum you wont find any answer. I will try to get in contact with COMSOL directly and post the solution here if I get one.

Best regards, Oliver

Hi Debasis, I have the same problem. I have even tried to set up a simpler version of an air transformer with a very basic circuit. Doesnt work either. Furthermore I do not find any example files and on most of the threads here on the forum you wont find any answer. I will try to get in contact with COMSOL directly and post the solution here if I get one. Best regards, Oliver

Durk de Vries COMSOL Employee

Posted: 5 years ago 29.03.2019, 14:56 GMT-4
Updated: 5 years ago 29.03.2019, 14:57 GMT-4

If the model has been derived from the e-core transformer model in our library, https://www.comsol.com/model/e-core-transformer-14123 , the issue is most likely caused by the Magnetic Fields interface equation form set to "Stationary".

This allows for a quasi-static approach that speeds up the model, but it disallows the Coil Geometry Analysis to use its own equation form.

If you go to the Magnetic Fields interface's settings window and find that the equation form is set to "Stationary", switch it to "Study controlled" (the default). This will allow you to solve a Coil Geometry Analysis study, possibly combined with other study steps (Stationary, Frequency Domain, etc.).

If you already have a wire direction field, as retrieved from a previous Coil Geometry Analysis study and would like to enforce a quasi-static approach for a new study (using a magnetostatic formulation in a time dependent study), you can set the equation form to "Stationary" while solving a Time Dependent study.

This is the approach demonstrated in the library model. It is a very useful demonstration but unfortunately it leaves the model in a state where upon resolving, the first study produces this message. We have been considering to organize the model differently, to avoid the confusion.

For more information, see the *.pdf supplied with the tutorial model.

If the model has been derived from the e-core transformer model in our library, [https://www.comsol.com/model/e-core-transformer-14123](https://www.comsol.com/model/e-core-transformer-14123) , the issue is most likely caused by the **Magnetic Fields** interface equation form set to "Stationary". *This allows for a quasi-static approach that speeds up the model, but it disallows the Coil Geometry Analysis to use its own equation form.* If you go to the **Magnetic Fields** interface's settings window and find that the equation form is set to "Stationary", switch it to "Study controlled" (the default). This will allow you to solve a Coil Geometry Analysis study, possibly combined with other study steps (Stationary, Frequency Domain, etc.). If you already have a wire direction field, as retrieved from a previous Coil Geometry Analysis study and would like to enforce a quasi-static approach for a new study (*using a magnetostatic formulation in a time dependent study*), you can set the equation form to "Stationary" while solving a Time Dependent study. This is the approach demonstrated in the library model. It is a very useful demonstration but unfortunately it leaves the model in a state where upon resolving, the first study produces this message. We have been considering to organize the model differently, to avoid the confusion. For more information, see the \*.pdf supplied with the tutorial model.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.