Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

3D FSI in comsol- flow through flexible pipe COMSOL 5.3a

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am trying to simulate a 3D FSI flow through a flexible pipe. I have done a 2D axisymmetric version of the same problem and got results which matches with the previous literature. References S. Kang, H. G. Choi and J. Y. Yoo, Investigation of fluid- structure interactions using a velocity-linked P2/P1 finite element method and the generalized- a method, Interna- tional Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, 90 (2012) 1539-1547. Greenshields CJ, Weller HG. A unified formulation for continuum mechanics applied to fluid-structure interaction in flexible tubes. International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering 2005; 64:1575–1593

Its the propagation of a pressure wave of 5000Pa in the tube at different times. The radial displacement of the outer wall also matches well with the published literature.

But the same problem with the same BC while simulating as 3D the pressure wave dies off faster.ie the radial displacement of the outer wall is much less for 3D problem. Figure attached shows the BC i give.

Kindly help me out

1 Reply Last Post 02.07.2019, 16:54 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Nimmy Thankom Philip

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 5 years ago 02.07.2019, 16:54 GMT-4
Updated: 5 years ago 02.07.2019, 16:48 GMT-4

Hi Nimmy.

I'm actually trying to set up the same cases that you have simulated, but COMSOL is not finding a solution because the last time ste is not converged.

Could you give me more details about your setup?

Thanks!

Hi Nimmy. I'm actually trying to set up the same cases that you have simulated, but COMSOL is not finding a solution because the last time ste is not converged. Could you give me more details about your setup? Thanks!

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.