Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Modeling Laser ablation of Aluminum

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everyone :)
I use comsol 3.5 to model laser ablation of Aluminum in the following stack - Aluminum/Silicon nitride/Silicon. How to couple the heat transfer equations to the ablation and melting of Aluminum? I would also need to model the recoil of molten Aluminum material. From the previous comsol conference papers, I got the all equations in hand.

But I have a doubt whether the coupling should be done by incorporating heat transfer module and Fluid mechanics module and substitute appropriate sub domain boundary conditions for each of the material or use ALE to model the moving liquid once aluminum has reached melting point? (I need to see how solid aluminum changes to liquid phase and moves due to laser ablation)
If I use two separate modules and use appropriate sub domain boundary conditions, would melting and molten aluminum flow be visualizable in post processing?

My another doubt is, the laser beam has Guassian power distribution and Aluminum would have specific reflectivity for the beam. how to account for these effects in the model? In the weak form? If so kindly explain.

Thanks in advance :)

3 Replies Last Post 12.11.2014, 11:55 GMT-5
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Sathish D

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 1 decade ago 09.02.2012, 02:05 GMT-5
Hi, have you solved your problem?
the recoil pressure is relative to the surface temperature according to a famous equation.
there should be a ALE to present the moving boundary due to the material removal.
best wishes to you and your family.

Hi everyone :)
I use comsol 3.5 to model laser ablation of Aluminum in the following stack - Aluminum/Silicon nitride/Silicon. How to couple the heat transfer equations to the ablation and melting of Aluminum? I would also need to model the recoil of molten Aluminum material. From the previous comsol conference papers, I got the all equations in hand.

But I have a doubt whether the coupling should be done by incorporating heat transfer module and Fluid mechanics module and substitute appropriate sub domain boundary conditions for each of the material or use ALE to model the moving liquid once aluminum has reached melting point? (I need to see how solid aluminum changes to liquid phase and moves due to laser ablation)
If I use two separate modules and use appropriate sub domain boundary conditions, would melting and molten aluminum flow be visualizable in post processing?

My another doubt is, the laser beam has Guassian power distribution and Aluminum would have specific reflectivity for the beam. how to account for these effects in the model? In the weak form? If so kindly explain.

Thanks in advance :)

Hi, have you solved your problem? the recoil pressure is relative to the surface temperature according to a famous equation. there should be a ALE to present the moving boundary due to the material removal. best wishes to you and your family. [QUOTE] Hi everyone :) I use comsol 3.5 to model laser ablation of Aluminum in the following stack - Aluminum/Silicon nitride/Silicon. How to couple the heat transfer equations to the ablation and melting of Aluminum? I would also need to model the recoil of molten Aluminum material. From the previous comsol conference papers, I got the all equations in hand. But I have a doubt whether the coupling should be done by incorporating heat transfer module and Fluid mechanics module and substitute appropriate sub domain boundary conditions for each of the material or use ALE to model the moving liquid once aluminum has reached melting point? (I need to see how solid aluminum changes to liquid phase and moves due to laser ablation) If I use two separate modules and use appropriate sub domain boundary conditions, would melting and molten aluminum flow be visualizable in post processing? My another doubt is, the laser beam has Guassian power distribution and Aluminum would have specific reflectivity for the beam. how to account for these effects in the model? In the weak form? If so kindly explain. Thanks in advance :) [/QUOTE]

Posted: 10 years ago 12.11.2014, 11:55 GMT-5
Hello,

I haved developed laser heating of a double layered material. Now I would like to remove some parts of top layered material. Can you please give me some idea in doing it.

Thanking you.

Meera kunden
Hello, I haved developed laser heating of a double layered material. Now I would like to remove some parts of top layered material. Can you please give me some idea in doing it. Thanking you. Meera kunden

Posted: 10 years ago 12.11.2014, 11:55 GMT-5
Hello,

I haved developed laser heating of a double layered material. Now I would like to remove some parts of top layered material. Can you please give me some idea in doing it.

Thanking you.

Meera kunden
Hello, I haved developed laser heating of a double layered material. Now I would like to remove some parts of top layered material. Can you please give me some idea in doing it. Thanking you. Meera kunden

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.