Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How can I know the veriables name used in Thermal-Stress model

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am currently working on COMSOL 4.0a.
Can anybody tell me how the variables are defined in COMSOL? For example, the three displacement components of u(x,y,z) are defined as ux, uy, and uz. The temperature is defined as .....
Since I want to define a PDE, which is coupled with Thermal-Stress model. I mean in my defined PDE I used the temperature.
Thanks so much in advance.

2 Replies Last Post 04.08.2011, 19:29 GMT-4

Posted: 1 decade ago 04.08.2011, 16:02 GMT-4
Bruce,

I believe the displacement components x,y, and z are actually represented by u,v, and w. Temperature is represented by T. When you go to add physics, right click on whatever you want and add it. When you do this the dependent variables and their designations are listed at the bottom of this screen (under "selected physics").

-Ted
Bruce, I believe the displacement components x,y, and z are actually represented by u,v, and w. Temperature is represented by T. When you go to add physics, right click on whatever you want and add it. When you do this the dependent variables and their designations are listed at the bottom of this screen (under "selected physics"). -Ted

Posted: 1 decade ago 04.08.2011, 19:29 GMT-4

Bruce,

I believe the displacement components x,y, and z are actually represented by u,v, and w. Temperature is represented by T. When you go to add physics, right click on whatever you want and add it. When you do this the dependent variables and their designations are listed at the bottom of this screen (under "selected physics").

-Ted

Hi Ted,
Thanks so much for your reply. Yeah, now I know how to define them.
[QUOTE] Bruce, I believe the displacement components x,y, and z are actually represented by u,v, and w. Temperature is represented by T. When you go to add physics, right click on whatever you want and add it. When you do this the dependent variables and their designations are listed at the bottom of this screen (under "selected physics"). -Ted [/QUOTE] Hi Ted, Thanks so much for your reply. Yeah, now I know how to define them.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.