Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Adding a second y-axis to a plot

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Perhaps I've over looked something, but I can't figure out how add a second y-axis to a plot. I'm specifically interested in adding a right hand axis.

I've got a plot of two variables and would like to show their ratio on the same plot. It makes no sense to have the same y-axis for the variables as their ratio because the units are different and the scale is completely inappropriate.

Export the data and then plot in Matlab is the best solution I've found. Is there a better one?

Thanks.

O

6 Replies Last Post 29.03.2017, 14:44 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello oren

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 1 decade ago 26.07.2011, 13:33 GMT-4
i would also like to know the answer to this
i would also like to know the answer to this

Posted: 1 decade ago 13.11.2012, 14:19 GMT-5
As a workaround, you can multiply one of the variables to re-scale it in accord with the range of the other variable. For example, I want to display the gradient of potential in the y-direction along with the 2nd derivative just to show the spatial difference between the two (in my case the second scale would be nice to have but not essential) and I need a factor of ~250 to get them in the same range. So one plot is of Vy*250 while the other is Vyy.
As a workaround, you can multiply one of the variables to re-scale it in accord with the range of the other variable. For example, I want to display the gradient of potential in the y-direction along with the 2nd derivative just to show the spatial difference between the two (in my case the second scale would be nice to have but not essential) and I need a factor of ~250 to get them in the same range. So one plot is of Vy*250 while the other is Vyy.

Posted: 8 years ago 10.11.2016, 04:21 GMT-5
is there a new solution in 5.2a?
is there a new solution in 5.2a?

Posted: 8 years ago 10.11.2016, 06:21 GMT-5
At a COMSOL conference in Munich a couple of weeks ago this topic came up: It is on the agenda, but has been so for a loooong time.
At a COMSOL conference in Munich a couple of weeks ago this topic came up: It is on the agenda, but has been so for a loooong time.

Posted: 8 years ago 15.11.2016, 08:25 GMT-5
Just wanted to add a vote for this feature! I have often wondered if this could be possible. A workaround is to normalise the plots against the max and min values, but that is a chore...
Just wanted to add a vote for this feature! I have often wondered if this could be possible. A workaround is to normalise the plots against the max and min values, but that is a chore...

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 7 years ago 29.03.2017, 14:44 GMT-4
This feature will be added at version 5.3, which is just around the corner.
Watch the release highlight webinar:
4/4 at 8am Eastern: www.comsol.com/events/webinar/Introducing-COMSOL-Multiphysics-and-COMSOL-Server-53-28972
4/4 at 2pm Eastern: www.comsol.com/events/webinar/Introducing-COMSOL-Multiphysics-and-COMSOL-Server-53-28982
Best,
Jeff
This feature will be added at version 5.3, which is just around the corner. Watch the release highlight webinar: 4/4 at 8am Eastern: https://www.comsol.com/events/webinar/Introducing-COMSOL-Multiphysics-and-COMSOL-Server-53-28972 4/4 at 2pm Eastern: https://www.comsol.com/events/webinar/Introducing-COMSOL-Multiphysics-and-COMSOL-Server-53-28982 Best, Jeff

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.