Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Differentiation of scalar variables

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

The below post is related to an archived discussion

I have been doing some fairly straightforward computations of the IdVg response of nanowire transistors. As part of the compuation I want to get a quick and dirty visualization of the transconductance, without doing small signal AC analysis. Essentially all I want is the first derivative of the Idvg curve with respect to Vg. Initially I tried d(semi.I0_1, semi_V03) where terminals 1 and 3 are the drain and gate, respectively. That gave me zeros all across. I then drived a number of variations, all of which produced zeros. Then I came across the above referenced thread that, in the last post, points to a workaround with a specific example for spatial derrivatives.

https://www.comsol.com/blogs/plotting-spatial-derivatives-magnetic-field/

However, I am either too dumb to adapt this to a scalar variable such as current, or this only works for spatial derrivatives. Is there a quick and easy way to do this? And if not, why not :-)

0 Replies Last Post 28.07.2018, 22:34 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Boyan Boyanov

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.