Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to fix a power input in the 'terminal' section under Electric Current heading of Joule's Heating Module

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Good Morning Everyone, [COMSOL version: 5.2] My name is vaibhav and I am currently working on the micro-heater simulations for heating applications. In my simulation, power should be maintained at 15 mW. I am using Joule's Heating Module and under 'Eletric current' section, I am defining 'terminal' (type: Power) to fix power as 15 mW at one face. And, i am using 'ground' to ground the other face. It's a simple circuit with only resistance in between the two ends (or, faces; assume it as a solid block). But while defining 'terminal' as POWER, the software is aking for Initial Voltage (default: 0V) and Initial Current (default: 1mA). With these initial values, the simulation is giving error,

'Failed to find a solution. Segregated Step 1 Matrix has zero on diagonal. In Segregated Step 1: Returned solution is not converged. - Feature: Stationary Solver 1 (sol1/s1)'

I am unable to understand what values I should input in place of default values. And also it will be very helpful if you could explain why and how these values matter?

0 Replies Last Post 25.06.2018, 17:29 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Vaibhav

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.