Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Expression of instantaneous electric field, normEi.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all, I am using Wave optics physics, Electromagnetic Waves, frequency domain (ewfd) and trying plot out the E field. I get confused when compared ewfd.normE (Electrec field norm) and ewfd.normEi (instantaneous electric field norm). After some searchings I found this topics: https://www.comsol.com/forum/thread/174102/what-is-the-expression-of-the-instantaneous-electric-field-normei?last=2018-04-15T23:32:39Z but the answer is not enough for me to figure out which quantity has physical meaning? I plotted out some values and guess the "instantaneous electric field norm" is so close to the value of "sqrt((ewfd.Ex)^2+(ewfd.Ey)^2)", it means the quantity doesn't contain imagine part of Ex and Ey. So is my expression of ewfd.normEi right? And among normE and normEi, which one is reality and can be used to estimated resonance frequencies, also enhancement factor of surface plasmon resonant? Please forgive me for my English. Any help appreciated.

0 Replies Last Post 29.05.2018, 12:26 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello DH Nguyen

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.