Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Right Mesh for surrounding space of metal sheet, to check skin-depth effect in metal sheet

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello, (My problem .mph file is attached) I'm using AC/DC Module>Magnetic Fields, to simulate the problem, where I have metal sheet (e.g. aluminum) placed underneath a source of magnetic field (source=I'm generating magnetic field by puting Surface currents (using surface current boundary) on a cylinder, which as a results generates magnetic field pattern of my interest. This magnetic field is incident on the metal sheet). I want to see how the currents induced on the metal sheet are attenuated along the thickness of metal sheet in z-direction with respect to skin-depth phenomenon. So, I'm essentially trying to verify the good old relationship J=Js * exp(-d/skindepth), d=thickness (through the metal sheet in z-direction), J=current density (A/m) at a given d, Js=Surface current that I get on surface of the metal sheet. I've used distributed mesh on metal sheet domain and I want to mesh the remaining geometry (i.e. boundary box and cylinder source of Magentic field) as coarse mesh to reduce computation time. The trouble is I run into errors for mesh in the remaining geometry. Can some one plz look into my comsol file attached and advise what I'm doing wrong? Is my overall approach right for simulating this problem? Thanks

0 Replies Last Post 03.05.2018, 13:05 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello SI

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.