Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Can I manipulate the simulation result by repeating a portion of the solution?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear All,

Short question

Here is my short question: How can I repeat a portion of a short solution that is on dynamic steady state? For example, in the following picture, the system took around 10 seconds before reaching the dynamic steady state. After that, everything just repeat periodically. However, since the field is still in motion, the solver does not take it as steady state and the time step is still very short. My expectation is to reuse one cycle of the solution (e.g. all variables between 33s to 39s) and fill them for the following times, so that a great amount of time can be saved. Dynamic steady state

Long Question

I am simulating a stirring tank with a cooling jacket. To simulate the magnetic stirring bar I used the component "Rotating Machinery, Laminar Flow", and "Heat Transfer in Fluids" for heat transfer. The geometry is shown in the picture below: Geometry

The simulation is acceptable (with time step 0.003s) but my simulation has a time span of hours (specifically, 1-2 hours). I found that the flow velocity field reached dynamic steady state after 1 second. After that, the velocity field just repeats itself for every revolution. However, the solver does not know the system is now on dynamic steady state and the time step is still small, making the simulation of whole time span almost impossible.

In my case the temperature does not affect the fluid property.

My expectation is to simulate the first 10 seconds for the flow field, and reuse the repeated solution for all the following time. Then, I can use this solution for computing the temperature field.

Can someone please give me some idea how to implement this operation?

Regards Yuanyi

3 Replies Last Post 04.04.2018, 09:33 GMT-4
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 6 years ago 03.04.2018, 16:52 GMT-4

Hi Yuanyi,

would it be an option to derive some average values from the dynamic steady state und use it in the slower physics in case there is no need to resolve this oscillation?

Cheers Edgar

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Hi Yuanyi, would it be an option to derive some average values from the dynamic steady state und use it in the slower physics in case there is no need to resolve this oscillation? Cheers Edgar

Posted: 6 years ago 03.04.2018, 16:59 GMT-4

Hi Edgar,

Thanks for your response. I am interested in your suggestion. I wonder how can we specify the velocity direction once it gets averaged - because it is periodical, I think the vector direction might be neutralized. The transportation of the other slow physics actually depends on the velocity field so I can't figure out how to use that.

Regards, Yuanyi

Hi Yuanyi,

would it be an option to derive some average values from the dynamic steady state und use it in the slower physics in case there is no need to resolve this oscillation?

Cheers Edgar

Hi Edgar, Thanks for your response. I am interested in your suggestion. I wonder how can we specify the velocity direction once it gets averaged - because it is periodical, I think the vector direction might be neutralized. The transportation of the other slow physics actually depends on the velocity field so I can't figure out how to use that. Regards, Yuanyi >Hi Yuanyi, > >would it be an option to derive some average values from the dynamic steady state und use it in the slower physics in case there is no need to resolve this oscillation? > >Cheers >Edgar

Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 6 years ago 04.04.2018, 09:33 GMT-4

Ok, the next thing you could try is to run the first study producing the dynamic study state and then run a second study with the heat transfer in fluids. You could try to put the periodic curve as time dependent velocity field into the fluid domain. There may be different ways to realize that. - Access the first solution with withsol(). - Write 3D interpolation functions (again functions of time) for the velocity components from the first solution and use it in the velocity field in the second study.

You may need to use a modulo operation to make it periodic. An interpolation function can be made periodic by reusing it in an analytic function definition.

We don't do much flow physics here, so it is all a bit out of the blue. Maybe it can give you a new idea.

Cheers Edgar

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Ok, the next thing you could try is to run the first study producing the dynamic study state and then run a second study with the heat transfer in fluids. You could try to put the periodic curve as time dependent velocity field into the fluid domain. There may be different ways to realize that. - Access the first solution with withsol(). - Write 3D interpolation functions (again functions of time) for the velocity components from the first solution and use it in the velocity field in the second study. You may need to use a modulo operation to make it periodic. An interpolation function can be made periodic by reusing it in an analytic function definition. We don't do much flow physics here, so it is all a bit out of the blue. Maybe it can give you a new idea. Cheers Edgar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.