Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

AutoCAD import error

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everyone,

I've been using AutoCAD to draw a model in 3D which would be extremely difficult to draw in Comsol (weird curves) but before importing that, I tried doing a test run since I've never imported into Comsol before; I drew a simple cube with dimensions roughly 1m long in AutoCAD, created a blank new model in Comsol and used the import function in geometry to choose this .dwg file (the file showed up when browsing so I assume the file type is importable). When clicking on import however, the following message pops up:

"Internal error translating CAD model. - Detail: Failure - Filename: C:\blahblahblah.dwg"

The simple cube model itself surely can't be the problem so there must be some options I need to play about with for importing I assume? If anyone has any idea what these options might be or if there's something else to be done then I'd really appreciate the help.

Thanks!

2 Replies Last Post 03.04.2018, 07:29 GMT-4
Lorant Olasz COMSOL Employee

Posted: 6 years ago 03.04.2018, 03:59 GMT-4

Hi,

Which version of AutoCAD are you using? The CAD file import supports AutoCAD 2.5-2017 .dwg files. https://www.comsol.com/products/specifications/cad/ If your AutoCAD is of a newer version you have the possibility in AutoCAD to save the file in a supported version of the dwg or dxf formats. If this does not help I suggest that you contact COMSOL support.

Best, Lorant

Hi, Which version of AutoCAD are you using? The CAD file import supports AutoCAD 2.5-2017 .dwg files. https://www.comsol.com/products/specifications/cad/ If your AutoCAD is of a newer version you have the possibility in AutoCAD to save the file in a supported version of the dwg or dxf formats. If this does not help I suggest that you contact COMSOL support. Best, Lorant

Posted: 6 years ago 03.04.2018, 07:29 GMT-4

Hi Lorant,

I am using AutoCAD 2018. After experimenting around, it seems that the .iges and .sat file versions are able to be imported successfully for the test cube. Hopefully this will be still be the case once the complexity of the geometry increases!

Thanks

Hi Lorant, I am using AutoCAD 2018. After experimenting around, it seems that the .iges and .sat file versions are able to be imported successfully for the test cube. Hopefully this will be still be the case once the complexity of the geometry increases! Thanks

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.