Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to assign a unit to a variable?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hey people

I am using 4.0, and I define a long list of variables, so I gave a name, an expression and a description for each of them, but I couldnt assign any unit (the 'unit' column is greyed out), consequently, I noticed 'unexpected unit of input' warning messages under physics I have added so far. Any ideas that I can, somehow, give unit to each variable?

Appreciate much for your help!!

regards

2 Replies Last Post 18.09.2016, 05:58 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 16.04.2011, 00:56 GMT-4
Hi

v4.0 was the first version after the (r)evolution of COMSOL to its new screen and physics approach. Everything was not implemented, I strongly advise you to upgrade to latest version, it contains many enhancements

second a variable normally inherits it's units from the equation you use so if you write v = 4[m]/(2[s]) you should get v=2 and units [m/s] just as for "parameters" apart that normally there is few constant and many other variable names in COMSOL's variales so it does not show th result, as this might be a field, or many values, but then the units do sho up

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi v4.0 was the first version after the (r)evolution of COMSOL to its new screen and physics approach. Everything was not implemented, I strongly advise you to upgrade to latest version, it contains many enhancements second a variable normally inherits it's units from the equation you use so if you write v = 4[m]/(2[s]) you should get v=2 and units [m/s] just as for "parameters" apart that normally there is few constant and many other variable names in COMSOL's variales so it does not show th result, as this might be a field, or many values, but then the units do sho up -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 8 years ago 18.09.2016, 05:58 GMT-4
Hi
using the version 5.2, in the variable expression i try to use sinh(phi) or cosh(phi) and give them a name , the unit of (phi) is the volt wich is the variable of electrostatic module, but the color is orange and show ''unexpected unit of input'' so i can't used it in boundary condition ad i can't solve my problem
Appreciate much for your help!!
Hi using the version 5.2, in the variable expression i try to use sinh(phi) or cosh(phi) and give them a name , the unit of (phi) is the volt wich is the variable of electrostatic module, but the color is orange and show ''unexpected unit of input'' so i can't used it in boundary condition ad i can't solve my problem Appreciate much for your help!!

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.