Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Prescribing a current density in a coil in MFH

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello, I would like to prescribe a given (flat) current density in the single-turn winding of a coil in the mfh module (2D). There only seems to be the 'External current density' node for this, or I have overlooked something. If I do this, and specify a realistic (good) conductivity for the coil, there would be opposite induced currents in the coil, which nearly cancel the externally prescribed current. I can suppress the eddy currents by specifying unphysically low conductivity, but this would create very large electric fields in the conductor. What is the correct way to prescribe a given flat total current density within a coil in the mfh module? Thank you Daniel

2 Replies Last Post 05.01.2018, 16:16 GMT-5
Sergei Yushanov Certified Consultant

Posted: 7 years ago 05.01.2018, 15:58 GMT-5

Daniel,

You should use "Coil" feature node, as shown in the attached image. This will account for induction currents in the coil, just make sure to mesh coil appropriately to resolve skin depth, especially if you are working with high frequencies.

Regards, Sergei

Daniel, You should use "Coil" feature node, as shown in the attached image. This will account for induction currents in the coil, just make sure to mesh coil appropriately to resolve skin depth, especially if you are working with high frequencies. Regards, Sergei

Sergei Yushanov Certified Consultant

Posted: 7 years ago 05.01.2018, 16:16 GMT-5

Daniel,

Sorry, I overlooked that you are using Magnetic Field Formulation (mfh) physics interface. For the mfh interface, "Coil" feature is not available, but you can excite coil by prescribing the tangential component of the magnetic field on the line around the coil, as explained in the following model from the Model Library:

https://www.comsol.com/model/superconducting-wire-689

Regards, Sergei

Daniel, Sorry, I overlooked that you are using Magnetic Field Formulation (mfh) physics interface. For the mfh interface, "Coil" feature is not available, but you can excite coil by prescribing the tangential component of the magnetic field on the line around the coil, as explained in the following model from the Model Library: https://www.comsol.com/model/superconducting-wire-689 Regards, Sergei

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.