Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

3D Simulation of Halbach Array

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hey everyone, I am kind of new in COMSOL and am trying to perform a 3D simulation of a halbach array moving above a conductive track made out of aluminium. My final aim is to measure the levitation and drag forces on the track.

However I am running into problems with the simulation. The solver seems to et stuck at around 72% and then nothing happens. Can anyone point me in the right direction regarding this matter? I can upload the COMSOL model files if necessary.

Thanks a lot, Andreas

1 Reply Last Post 05.12.2017, 09:37 GMT-5
Nirmal Paudel Tribhuvan University/Electrical Engineering

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 7 years ago 05.12.2017, 09:37 GMT-5

Hi Andreas,

The problem of solving 3D halbach Array that is moving over a conductive track is somewhat tricky. If the halbach arry is just moving, you could actually use the Magnetic and Electric Fields interface to do the Stationary or Frequency Domain study only including the motion in the "Velocity (Lorentz Term)", but not in Time Domain.

If you wish to do in Time Domain, you have to modify the underlying equations in Magnetic Fields physics and include the Velocity Term there. I have spent significant time on this type of simulation in the past, it is certainly not easy to do.

Best Regards, Nirmal

Hi Andreas, The problem of solving 3D halbach Array that is moving over a conductive track is somewhat tricky. If the halbach arry is just moving, you could actually use the Magnetic and Electric Fields interface to do the Stationary or Frequency Domain study only including the motion in the "Velocity (Lorentz Term)", but not in Time Domain. If you wish to do in Time Domain, you have to modify the underlying equations in Magnetic Fields physics and include the Velocity Term there. I have spent significant time on this type of simulation in the past, it is certainly not easy to do. Best Regards, Nirmal

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.