Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Particle release from passed variables

Nicholas Goldring Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everyone,

I would like to use the geometric optics interface to release particles along the same trajectory as particle(s) that were simulated in the charged particle interface in a previous study. I pass the variables from the first study to the second but can't seem to find an accurate way to tell the second study particles to release at the trajectory positions of the first study.

They are both time-dependent studies. Please let me know if you have any other questions and thanks for any helpful information.

-------------------
Nick

2 Replies Last Post 25.10.2017, 12:11 GMT-4
Daniel Smith COMSOL Employee

Posted: 7 years ago 25.10.2017, 08:31 GMT-4

Hi Nicholas, you would need to write the particle positions from the first study to a file, then use the "Release from Data File" option in the Geometrical Optics interface for the second study.

There is no way of passing the positions from the Charged Particle Tracing interface to a Geometrical Optics interface directly in the GUI. You will need to use the export/import procedure described above.

Dan

Hi Nicholas, you would need to write the particle positions from the first study to a file, then use the "Release from Data File" option in the Geometrical Optics interface for the second study. There is no way of passing the positions from the Charged Particle Tracing interface to a Geometrical Optics interface directly in the GUI. You will need to use the export/import procedure described above. Dan

Nicholas Goldring Certified Consultant

Posted: 7 years ago 25.10.2017, 12:11 GMT-4

Thanks for the response Dan! I will give this a shot.

-------------------
Nick
Thanks for the response Dan! I will give this a shot.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.