Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

2D rotating boundary

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I have a simple laminar flow model and all I need now is for the outer edge of my cylindrical domain to rotate. I have a tangential velocity in mind but that is not enough for the simulation to work. I can select the "Translational velocity" and have either "Automatic from frame" or "Manual". Unfortunately, I do not know what I need to continue, my geometry is not deforming, so I thought that the moving mesh interface would help, but for all the options available, no boundary can be selected.

I suppose my setup is essentially a model of Taylor-Couette flow, but with bits and pieces in the domain. I am lost, any hints would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Dave

2 Replies Last Post 14.08.2017, 04:26 GMT-4

Posted: 7 years ago 13.08.2017, 12:58 GMT-4
You may want to try deformed geometry. I struggled with deformation and moving BC a well ago with Heat transfer. What I found then is that deformed geometry actually deforms the geometry and make it physically move; moving mesh also make it physically move but no relative movement with BCs; translational motion in ht basically does the same thing as deformed geometry. As for Fluid, I don't know what the internal translational velocity does, but I'd try deformed geometry.
You may want to try deformed geometry. I struggled with deformation and moving BC a well ago with Heat transfer. What I found then is that deformed geometry actually deforms the geometry and make it physically move; moving mesh also make it physically move but no relative movement with BCs; translational motion in ht basically does the same thing as deformed geometry. As for Fluid, I don't know what the internal translational velocity does, but I'd try deformed geometry.

Posted: 7 years ago 14.08.2017, 04:26 GMT-4
Have you checked Application Libaries --> CFD Module --> Single-Phase Tutorials --> rotating disk ?
Have you checked Application Libaries --> CFD Module --> Single-Phase Tutorials --> rotating disk ?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.