Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

elastic wave propagation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am trying to simulate wave propagation in an elastic half space medium due to a vertical load.
I have defined a 100Hz sin pulse with one period duration as the vertical force.
And I like to observe displacement at several points.
But the result is not as I suppose to see. the displacement vs time plots are jagged and I cannot see the passing wave. I have changed mesh quality and time steps but it does not work.
Please help.

2 Replies Last Post 09.08.2017, 10:45 GMT-4
Dave Greve Certified Consultant

Posted: 7 years ago 08.08.2017, 22:26 GMT-4
Updated: 7 years ago 08.08.2017, 22:31 GMT-4
1. Your mesh is very odd, you need several elements per wavelength but not an extremely large density near the edges.

2. The most common reason wave propagation doesn't work is allowing the solver to take free steps. Go to Study>Solver configurations>Solution>Time Dependent Solver and choose Strict for Steps Taken by Solver. Again, you need several steps per period but not hundreds or thousands.

D.W. Greve
DWGreve Consulting
1. Your mesh is very odd, you need several elements per wavelength but not an extremely large density near the edges. 2. The most common reason wave propagation doesn't work is allowing the solver to take free steps. Go to Study>Solver configurations>Solution>Time Dependent Solver and choose Strict for Steps Taken by Solver. Again, you need several steps per period but not hundreds or thousands. D.W. Greve DWGreve Consulting

Posted: 7 years ago 09.08.2017, 10:45 GMT-4
Thanks for your consideration.
I have changed free to strict and the result is completely different.
Do you know where I can learn more about this option?
Thanks for your consideration. I have changed free to strict and the result is completely different. Do you know where I can learn more about this option?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.