Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

GPU v.s. CPU solvers - Roadmap of Comsol for future solvers?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

If you just search the internet for CPU vs GPU, you can get some basics what does it means.

Graphics processing units (GPUs) have, for many years, powered the display of images and motion on computer displays. GPUs are now powerful enough to do more than just move images across the screen. They are capable of performing high-end computations that are the staple of many engineering activities.

Benchmarks that focus on floating point arithmetic, those most often used in these engineering computations, show that GPUs can perform such computations much faster than the traditional central processing units (CPUs) used in today’s workstations—sometimes as much as 20 times faster, depending on the computation

I am just woundering if comsol is planning to include some GPU solver support in future releases?

3 Replies Last Post 07.08.2015, 07:42 GMT-4

Posted: 1 decade ago 09.03.2011, 04:46 GMT-5
Hi,

there are serveral related threads in this forum.

To my knowledge, CUDA is still not applicable enough, due to the fact that it requires an undeniable big effort for code porting. Besides that, there are contradicting information about the performance improvements (e.g. GPU designed for for single precision operations !?)

However, buying a better WS is always performance improving :)
Hi, there are serveral related threads in this forum. To my knowledge, CUDA is still not applicable enough, due to the fact that it requires an undeniable big effort for code porting. Besides that, there are contradicting information about the performance improvements (e.g. GPU designed for for single precision operations !?) However, buying a better WS is always performance improving :)

Posted: 1 decade ago 09.03.2011, 06:10 GMT-5

Hi,

there are serveral related threads in this forum.

To my knowledge, CUDA is still not applicable enough, due to the fact that it requires an undeniable big effort for code porting. Besides that, there are contradicting information about the performance improvements (e.g. GPU designed for for single precision operations !?)

However, buying a better WS is always performance improving :)

What I can say more than is that CUDA is already double precision ready for new GPUs.

Also, look at Jacket v1.7. They have already ported main solvers to GPU. I don't see why Jacket cannot be used in between comsol calls for solving and assembly, since specially it is for matlab and has an API.

Danial

--
Comsol 4.1
Ubuntu 10.04.1
[QUOTE] Hi, there are serveral related threads in this forum. To my knowledge, CUDA is still not applicable enough, due to the fact that it requires an undeniable big effort for code porting. Besides that, there are contradicting information about the performance improvements (e.g. GPU designed for for single precision operations !?) However, buying a better WS is always performance improving :) [/QUOTE] What I can say more than is that CUDA is already double precision ready for new GPUs. Also, look at Jacket v1.7. They have already ported main solvers to GPU. I don't see why Jacket cannot be used in between comsol calls for solving and assembly, since specially it is for matlab and has an API. Danial -- Comsol 4.1 Ubuntu 10.04.1

Posted: 9 years ago 07.08.2015, 07:42 GMT-4
I have recently upgraded my workstation to a double Xeon CPU (E5-2697v2) with 256GB RAM.
I am also planning to install a high end GPU (GTX Titan X with 12GB GDDR5).

And curiously waiting comsol to support GPU :)
I have recently upgraded my workstation to a double Xeon CPU (E5-2697v2) with 256GB RAM. I am also planning to install a high end GPU (GTX Titan X with 12GB GDDR5). And curiously waiting comsol to support GPU :)

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.