Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

electrokinetic transport

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I'm a Final year student of Electrical Engineering in University Tun Hussien Onn Malaysia, my project is about computer simulations for conceptual understanding electrokinetic transport in microchannel usng coventorware n experimental research will reveals how the velocity field and the volumetric flow rate depend on the channel size, ionic concentrations and the applied electrical fields strenght. I've carried out the experiment but I need to do a computer simulation to compare experimental and numerical results. Please how can I use COMSOL or coventorware software to archive the result.

1 Reply Last Post 05.03.2011, 15:04 GMT-5
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 05.03.2011, 15:04 GMT-5
Hi

I do not know Coventor (some of my colleagues uses it as is highly integrated into the MEMS mask and layout software, and it works quite OK). Apart, that my job is also to integrate these MEMS into packegings and larger systems, and for that Coventor cannot do the job, neither their CAD package, so we need to rebuild everything again in another CAD software for "classical" fine mechanics and to redo all simulations in COMSOL to allow to get the big image of the system. Conclusion for me: my colleagues should use COMSOL, as then we would gain a lot of time, at system level.

Now your domain is a complex multiphysics domain. I now that Coventor has several precooked modules to do many things, but its difficult to go outside its "pre-cooked" path. I cannot tell if everything is in there either, for your case.

Comsol has less such "precooked" modules, at least at the same engineering level, BUT COSMOL allows you to reach the physics equations so that you can update and complete the modules at your will, and this in a way no other tool will allow, this allows you to do much more.
The drawback is that you need to understand in detail what you are doing, and it takes time to learn efficiently how to use the tool (this is valid for both/most complex simulation software).

Before starting to use one or the other, contact the vendors of the programmes and ask them to explain how they would solve your issue (methodology used, expected results, expected effort...), then judge on the quality of the answer. This is anyhow something you will, most probably, have to do often during your professional life

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I do not know Coventor (some of my colleagues uses it as is highly integrated into the MEMS mask and layout software, and it works quite OK). Apart, that my job is also to integrate these MEMS into packegings and larger systems, and for that Coventor cannot do the job, neither their CAD package, so we need to rebuild everything again in another CAD software for "classical" fine mechanics and to redo all simulations in COMSOL to allow to get the big image of the system. Conclusion for me: my colleagues should use COMSOL, as then we would gain a lot of time, at system level. Now your domain is a complex multiphysics domain. I now that Coventor has several precooked modules to do many things, but its difficult to go outside its "pre-cooked" path. I cannot tell if everything is in there either, for your case. Comsol has less such "precooked" modules, at least at the same engineering level, BUT COSMOL allows you to reach the physics equations so that you can update and complete the modules at your will, and this in a way no other tool will allow, this allows you to do much more. The drawback is that you need to understand in detail what you are doing, and it takes time to learn efficiently how to use the tool (this is valid for both/most complex simulation software). Before starting to use one or the other, contact the vendors of the programmes and ask them to explain how they would solve your issue (methodology used, expected results, expected effort...), then judge on the quality of the answer. This is anyhow something you will, most probably, have to do often during your professional life -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.