Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Wall functions implementation for CFD turbulence models (k-e k-w) in COMSOL

Jean-Philippe Simoneau

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everyone,

I have 3 questions related to the implementation of the wall functions in the k-e and k-w CFD turbulence models.

1- As stated in the the CFD Module User's Guide and as seen in the equations in COMSOL, there's a no-penetration condition u*n=0 for the wall boundaries. But after looking at the results for various models (Cylinder pipe, 2D Backward Facing Step) I can see that u*n is not exactly 0 at walls boundaries. Even worse, for the 2D Backward Facing Step, near the step stagnation point, the flow go in and out of the wall boundaries. My first question is: how does COMSOL set the no-penetration condition for wall functions internally?

The 2 other questions are related to the implementation of the spf.d_w_plus and spf.delta_w.

2- Why is the minimum value of spf.d_w_plus at 11.06 (Intersection between the logarithmic and the linear law) when the log layer starts more near 30?

3-Also, setting the d_w_plus and varying the wall distance seems a bit odd to me since you are literally changing the distance from the mesh to the wall. Wouldn't it be better and give more accurate results if you set a uniform wall distance and be sure that the d_w_plus is most of the time in the log layer region (generally between 30 to 100-300)?

Thank you in advance!

0 Replies Last Post 02.06.2017, 15:30 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Jean-Philippe Simoneau

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.