Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Cannot Compute Conjugate Heat Transfer

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi there,

I have a simple heat transfer problem that I want to solve using COMSOL, but it's not working properly. The general setup is as follows:

There is a 1" diameter ball that generates 1000W in the center of a 12" diameter thin shell. Between the ball and the shell is air. Outside the shell is also air. Taking into account both convection (with gravity) and radiation, all I want to know is the temperature of the shell as a function of time.

Despite the symmetry of the problem, I've set it up as a 3D model because it's a first step for me in performing FEA simulations on more complex 3D non-symmetric geometries. However, I've spent a good while trying to figure out how to use COMSOL for this simple simulation and get various errors. I'd like to know what I'm doing wrong, and how I can better optimize my setup. Can someone please take a quick look to check what I'm doing wrong?

The .mph file is attached.

Thank you,
Shawn

0 Replies Last Post 22.02.2017, 15:01 GMT-5
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Shawn Gao

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.